Celebrating Sabbath: Accepting God’s Gift of Rest and Delight
by Carol M. Bechtel
Suggestions for Leaders by Laura Mariko Cheifetz
In the nine lessons of this Bible study—with passages from Genesis, Exodus, Deuteronomy, Isaiah, Matthew, Luke, and Acts—we’ll consider Sabbath
- as a celebration, not a day of dreary formality
- as God’s intent for all of creation and that includes busy women too
- as one day of the week, perhaps a Sunday
- as a time to surrender unhealthy striving and frantic busyness, and instead trust God will provide
- as a reminder that life is precious and working too much is against God’s plans for our precious lives
- as a day devoted to community and justice and not exclusively to self-care
Ultimately, Sabbath reminds us to honor God who honors us by giving us a day each week to reset our pace, our priorities, and our lives.
To ask a question or to learn more about Bible study, contact Betsy Ensign-George.