Presbyterian Women answer the call to be the hands and feet of Christ in the world. Whether it’s by picking up knitting needles to create a blanket for a child in need or picking up a crowbar to participate in disaster recovery work, Presbyterian Women get to work when there’s a need.
To be Together in Service, some PW groups offer ongoing support to local church or community projects. Other groups commit to answering short-term needs in their communities. Still other groups provide goods, labor or financial support for Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) mission work or one of Presbyterian Women’s affiliates.
Together in Service: Disaster Recovery with PW in Puerto Rico
During the 2018–2021 triennium, Together in Service will focus on supporting PW in the Synod of Puerto Rico’s recovery work in the aftermath of Hurricane María. Immediately after the storm, PW in the Synod of Puerto Rico quickly mobilized to serve their communities and churches. Now they are part of the transition to long term recovery. Though the island’s infrastructure is unstable and the devastation can be overwhelming, Presbyterian Women in Puerto Rico have a strong desire to help their community develop the tools for resilience, recovery, and reconstruction.
Through this Together in Service project, Presbyterian Women from every synod can offer support to the PW in the Synod of Puerto Rico. Financial gifts will be used for recovery efforts in three key areas: water supply, community building and home reconstruction.
Other Together in Service Opportunities
- Ask partners what they need and make or purchase the items they request. Items frequently requested include
- lap gowns or prayer blankets for residents in assisted living facilities
- pillowcases, finger puppets and small pillows for children in hospitals
- dolls or pillows given to children through foster homes, police or fire departments
- warm clothing and blankets for homeless shelters
- Donate money for mission initiatives—a local program or a Together in Service project
- Support existing denominational and ecumenical programs
- Provide mission interpretation and education to the whole church
- Develop personal relationships with mission co-workers
Or let the following programs inspire your hands-on mission:
To ask a question or learn more about Together in Service, contact Cheri Harper.