Celebrating Sabbath: Accepting God’s Gift of Rest and Delight
By Carol M. Bechtel
Welcome to the 2022–2023 Presbyterian Women/Horizons Bible study, Celebrating Sabbath: Accepting God’s Gift of Rest and Delight.
In the nine lessons of this Bible study—with passages from Genesis, Exodus, Deuteronomy, Isaiah, Matthew, Luke, and Acts—we’ll consider Sabbath
• as a celebration, not a day of dreary formality
• as God’s intent for all of creation that includes busy women too
• as one day of the week, perhaps a Sunday
• as a time to surrender unhealthy striving and frantic busyness, and instead trust that God will provide
• as a reminder that life is precious and working too much is against God’s plans for our precious lives
• as a day devoted to community and justice and not exclusively to self-care
Ultimately, Sabbath reminds us to honor God who honors us by giving us a day each week to reset our pace, our priorities, and our lives.
The Reverend Dr. Carol Bechtel is Professor of Old Testament at Western Theological Seminary in Holland, Michigan, where she has taught since 1994.
Other Celebrating Sabbath Resources
Celebrating Sabbath Bible Study
Edición en español
Workshop for Leaders
Additional Resources via PW Blog
Additional helps included in the Horizons magazine beginning with the Summer 2022 issue. Subscribe (or renew) subscriptions — Call toll-free 866/802-3635 or subscribe online.